Council Services

The Town Council provides services in Downham Market in conjunction with the Borough Council and the County Council. Many everyday services are the responsibility of the Borough or County and it may be best to contact them directly if you have a concern or a request. Listed below are some of the more common areas of concern.

How do I report a street light not working?


Telephone Norfolk County Council Highways Dept 01603 213926, or visit 

Give them the precise location and the reference number as printed on the lamp post.

How do I report fly-tipping?


The Borough Council deal with this: call them on 

01553 771657 (may be an answerphone but messages reviewed regularly), email

or visit

How do I report a missing or damaged street name sign?

The Borough Council deal with this on 0500 2532687 freephone.  May be an answerphone but messages are reviewed regularly.

Road Signs / Weeds

Road signs and growth on pavements in the responsibility of Norfolk County Council.


Weed treatment commences in the Spring and takes place 3 times during the year. For information or to report a problem telephone 01553 778000 

How do I report an abandoned car?


The Borough Council is responsible in conjunction with the Police. In some cases removal may be delayed if a vehicle is the subject of an insurance claim or criminal investigation. To report a vehicle call 01553 616335.

Stray Dogs


The Borough Council is responsible for catching stray dogs in public places. It can also sieze stray dogs from private land with the consent of the land owner, ( e.g. from back gardens of complainants houses ). Telephone 01553 616200 or email 

Bulky item collection service


The Borough Council can arrange for collection of bulky items such as furniture, beds, fridges and freezers.

There is a charge for this service, but for anyone on Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit these are collected free of charge. Call the Refuse & Recycling Hotline on 01553 776676. Visit for more information. 

Dangerous buildings & structures

The Borough Council deal with these and Building Control staff will visit and inspect all dangerous structures that are reported on a 24 hours a day 7 days a week basis.

Telephone 01553 616581 during office hours or 

Council's careline service on 01553 760671 at other times.

Refuse & recycling queries including missed bins

The Borough Council deal with queries on this.

To find out your collection day; report missed collections or lost/stolen bins; order an additional bin; get an assisted lift service or for more information call the refuse & recycling hotline on 01553 776676. See for bin collection dates.

Road maintenance including pot holes

Maintenance of roads, including potholes, roadside verges, mud on the road and road signs, is the responsibility of County Highways. Call them on 01553 778000 or 0845 6021930, or visit 

Children's play areas

These are provided by a variety of agencies including the Town Council and the Borough Council.


Call the cleanup number 0500 2532687 to report any problems and they will ensure the appropriate agency is informed.

Footpaths & cycle routes

The responsibility for these is split between the Borough Council & the County Council. Call 01553 616200 to report a problem in the first instance.

Customer Service